Chinese expatriates in Angola donated 15 million Kwanzas (150, 000 U.S. dollars) for a surgery to Huang Zongwei, a Chinese victim who was seriously injured in an armed burglary last week in the country's capital Luanda.
The donation campaign was initiated by the Angolan Chinese Daily, the only Chinese newspaper in the African country in collaboration with the Chinese chamber of commerce in Angola. Huang had received an operation in a Luanda hospital and doctors said he is in a stable condition.
Huang was shot in the chest and stomach on December 8 when another three Chinese merchants were shot dead in a burglary at the Benfeica district of Luanda amid apparent rising crime waves in the African country before the Christmas and new year season.
Huang said the suspect of the crime, a local driver his company hired two months ago, broke into the house with a gun, shot dead the boss and two other Chinese at the residence of the company and robbed about 4 million Kwanzas (40,000 U.S. dollars) before fleeing from the site.
Zhao Haihan, an official with the consular section of the Chinese Embassy to Luanda, denounced the incident and urged Angolan police to clear up the case and bring the suspect to justice as soon as possible.
The official urged Chinese companies operating in Angola to guard against criminal activities during the coming Christmas and new year season, a period which normally sees rising crimes in Luanda and other provinces.