Minister of Energy and Water Resources, Gebran Bassil, avowed on Friday "the project of 700 MW had been duly approved by the government of former Prime Minister Saad Hariri and was part of an electricity-related plan unanimously ratified by the Cabinet in 2010."
"The project was not subject to any modification," said the Minister during a press conference at the Ministry's premises, accusing the opposition of giving pretexts in a bid to impede the application of said project.
"What happened recently at the Parliament proves that some parties do not wish that the situation of electricity in Lebanon be normal and sound," he added, lashing out at the fact that "those parties constantly deplore electricity cutting off and rationing."
Minister Bassil also elaborated the details of this "global and swift" project, underscoring that "the Ministry's activities are totally compliant with norms," and that "the two-week span sought by some deputies leads to the loss of USD 250 million."
He finally said "the opposition is resorting to vexation and sabotage," adding "the current challenge is to put the Parliament before its responsibilities."