Theo Spierings, CEO of dairy company Fonterra, apologized to Chinese consumers on Monday for a product contamination scare.
Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Spierings said that 90 percent of the affected products have been contained, with the remaining 10 percent to be recalled within two days.
Fonterra said on Friday that some of its whey protein concentrate produced in May 2012 was found to be contaminated with clostridium botulinum, a bacteria that can cause food poisoning. The concentrate was used in products including infant milk powder and sports drinks.
China's consumer quality watchdog said Sunday the contaminated products were exported to four Chinese companies, including Hangzhou Wahaha Health Food Co., Ltd., Hangzhou Wahaha Import & Export Co., Ltd., Shanghai Tangjiu (Group) Co., Ltd. and Shanghai-based Dumex Baby Food Co., Ltd.
Seeking to reassure Chinese consumers, the CEO said that processing methods would kill off the bacteria.
He also said that all the affected Dumex products on the market have been recalled, with some still in inventory. Meanwhile, New Zealand-based company Nutricia has also taken measures to recall its affected Karicare-brand dairy products.