Fourteen contracts have been awarded to carry out emergency projects as part of a plan to prevent flooding in Jeddah.
A major ministerial meeting on tackling flooding in the city has reviewed short and long-term projects planned to confront flashfloods that have destroyed the city in the past, Saudi daily Arab News reported on Wednesday.
In November 2009, floods resulted in the deaths of more than 120 people and rendered about 10,000 people homeless while thousands of homes, buildings and vehicles were also destroyed.Speaking at the meeting, Ahmed Al-Suleim, director of rain waters and flood drainage, said the projects include a total drainage system and a secondary drainage system as well as development plans for underdeveloped areas and establishment of environment management systems.
The meeting also heard that tenders have been invited to implement the first phase of a catastrophe and crisis management centre, with work expected to start in November.
The transport department presented a proposal during the meeting to establish a ring road with a length of 115km east of Jeddah, adding that the new road project could be completed in three years.In February, Saudi Arabia said it would punish officials for negligence after flooding due to heavy rains damaged infrastructure and displaced people in Jeddah.
A committee was set up to investigate the response to last month’s floods, which damaged 25,000 buildings, 2,500 shops and 90 percent of the city’s roads. The government had to provide shelter for about 18,000 people, according to the news service.
At least 10 people were killed and 114 injured in the January floods, it was reported.
From / Arabian Business News