Up to 104 Taliban militants have been killed and 33 others wounded in Afghan security forces' operations in two provinces, the country's Interior Ministry said on Thursday.
"As part of exerting pressure against Taliban militants, the security forces launched crackdown in surrounding areas of southern Helmand and eastern Nangarhar provinces over the past 72 hours. The security forces battled the militants, killing 104 Taliban militants and wounding 33 others," the ministry said in a statement.
They also found and seized weapons besides defusing 60 roadside bombs and landmines, the statement said, without saying whether there were any casualties on the side of security forces.
Furthermore, 171 Taliban militants, including several foreign militants, had been killed during nine-day battle in Zharay district of southern Kandahar province which began on July 27, provincial police chief General Abdul Raziq told reporters there earlier on the day.
Kandahar and Helmand are notorious for poppy growing and militancy.
The police chief said about 73 militants were wounded and 65 others detained during the clashes. Several militants' hideouts were also destroyed.
The militants tried to gain control of the district near provincial capital Kandahar city, he said, adding 14 security forces personnel died and 17 others were wounded during the fierce clashes.
The Taliban-led violence continues in Afghanistan. Security forces have pressed on to clear the militants in restive provinces.
The Taliban responds by bombing and armed attacks.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from foreign troops by the end of the year.
Nearly 50,000 NATO-led coalition troops, down from the peak of 130,000 in 2010, are stationed in Afghanistan. Some 32,800 of them are Americans and the United States plans to trim its forces to less than 10,000 next year.