At least eight Taliban rebels including a key commander have been killed in two separate United States led drone strikes in eastern Nuristan and Nangarhar provinces, claimed officials on Monday.
The governor of Nuristan province, Hafiz Abdul Qayyum told media that the missile strike took place in Maindesh locality of the Wantwaigal district late on Sunday.
The missile targeted a Taliban hideout killing at least four rebels in the strike, he added. According to local media reports, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed that three insurgents had been killed in the attack.
Moreover, in Nangarhar, Maj. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, police spokesman claimed that four rebels including a leading commander had been killed in a drone attack in Ghanikhelu district late Sunday.
He further said that the attack took place in Pach area of the district killing the militants involved in carrying out sabotage acts and attacking security forces in the area. The militants were planting roadside bombs when they came under missile attack, Mashriqiwal added.
The drone strikes came on the night when NATO and US formally ended their 13-year-old war in Afghanistan at a ceremony held in this regard at the NATO headquarters in Afghan capital Kabul. The Afghan forces would be responsible for security of the entire country from the start of the New Year.