The command of the pro-legitimacy Arab coalition in Yemen announced on Saturday end of the truce which Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi had called for because of continued violation by supporters of toppled president Ali Abdallah Saleh and Houthi militias.
In a statement on Saturday, the coalition said it was and still keen on securing an appropriate climate for a peaceful settlement in Yemen and empowering the legitimate government to restore security and stability.
The statement said Saleh supporters and Houthi militias have repeatedly breached the truce by firing ballistic missiles at Saudi Arabia, hampering relief efforts, stealing foodstuffs and medical supplies and shelling Yemeni houses and arresting Yemenis in the cities under their control.
The statement said it is clear that Saleh supporters and Houthi militias attempted to get a boon from the ceasefire.
The ceasefire – which started on December 15 - is over from Saturday 2 pm, the statement said.
Yemen has been embroiled in civil war since the Houthis took over the capital Sanaa last year. Forces loyal to President Hadi have been accompanied by a Saudi-led coalition of warplanes and ground forces to defeat the Houthis. More than 5,700 people died after the conflict escalated in March this year. Several thousands are affected by lack of food and medical supplies.