South Sudan government troops attack villages despite ceasefire

GMT 19:17 2015 Sunday ,30 August

Arab Today, arab today South Sudan government troops attack villages despite ceasefire

South Sudan government
Juba - Arab Today

South Sudan government troops on Sunday attacked some villages on the first day of a cease-fire that both sides have pledged to implement, said FoxNews Sunday.

Military spokesperson Col. Philip Aguer said he was unable to verify reports of clashes. Rebel spokesman James Gatdet Dak said he has not received reports of new clashes.

Southern Unity has witnessed chaotic violence between the two sides in recent months following a government offensive against rebel forces. Doctors Without Borders said last week it treated 50 people including women and children for gunshot wounds in the town of Leer over the past month.

South Sudan's war began in December 2013 between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy, Riek Machar.

Kiir on Wednesday signed a compromise peace agreement, including the cease-fire, following mediation by the leaders of neighboring countries and with U.N. backing. Machar had signed the same document earlier in Ethiopia

Source: MENA

Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
arabtoday arabtoday arabtoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabs, Arab, Arab