Police in India said they charged the principal of a school in India where 23 students died after eating poison-laced food with murder.
Meena Kumari, 36, and her husband, Arjun Rai, were charged for the incident, in which 48 children were sickened, 23 of whom died, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.
Forensic scientists found monocrotophos, an insecticide that's toxic to humans, in residue from the food and oil used to make the deadly school lunch.
Manju Devi, a cook at the school who also was hospitalized after eating the food she prepared, said she told Kumari the mustard oil to be used for the lunch smelled and looked bad, but the principal insisted she continue making the meal.
"Our investigation shows it was nothing less than murder," said Barun Kumar Sinha, superintendent of police in Saran district, where the school is located.
Raj Kaushal, chief investigating officer in the case, said a report was filed at the magistrate's court in Chapra.
"The court will examine the charge sheet for next two to three days. The trial is expected to begin at the end of this week," he said, adding a ruling is expected within three months.