Moves come over alleged phone hacking by News of the World
guardian.co.uk, Monday 13 September 2010 22.21 BST
The actor and comedian Steve Coogan and Who Wants to Be A Millionaire Host Chris Tarrant have joined the growing list of public figures who are taking legal action for alleged phone hacking by the News of the World.
Coogan's name, mobile phone number, account number and password were found in material seized by police from the News of the World's contracted private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, in August 2006.
Tarrant's lawyer has also written to the Metropolitan police after Tarrant found out that Glenn Mulcaire had his mobile phone number and three other mobile numbers linked to him, including that of his estranged wife, Ingrid. The lawyer, Mark Lewis of Taylor Hampton, says he will be suing on Tarrant's behalf.
The Met have refused to approach and warn the owners of nearly 3,000 mobile phone numbers which they found in Mulcaire's records.
An increasing number of public figures are approaching the police to ask for themselves whether their names or personal details were among those held by the investigator.
Coogan's solicitor, John Kelly of London law firm Schillings, earlier this year wrote to Scotland Yard on Coogan's behalf. "They have written back and confirmed that Steve was a 'person of interest' to Mr Mulcaire, and we have now sent a letter before claim on his behalf," Kelly said.
From: The Guardian