A group of Australian journalists delivered a statement to the Consulate General of Egypt in Sydney on Monday demanding the release of jailed Australian reporter Peter Greste and his Al Jazerra colleagues.
Last week the Al Jazerra reporters were jailed for up to seven years after being found guilty of spreading false news and supporting the banned Muslim Brotherhood.
The delegation of journalists handed the Egyptian Vice Consul Ahmed Farid the statement signed by more than 100 news organizations and non-government organizations around the world. It also included more than 150,000 signatures from the public.
Ten Network journalist Hugh Riminton was among those who met with Farid and said there was some hope in the discussions.
"He says that he understands and he wants us to understand that this is just a process, that there are appeal processes that are still to come," Riminton told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).
"He didn't want to judge what those appeal processes might result in but he did say that he feels sure that Peter Greste and the other journalists, this is a direct quote, 'will get the just treatment that they deserve'."
The statement is being presented at several Egyptian diplomatic missions around the world Monday.