Disgraced BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall was jailed for 15 months for assaulting young girls.
The 83-year-old former presenter admitted attacking 13 girls over 20 years - the youngest aged just nine. Disgraced broadcaster Stuart Hall took advantage of his celebrity status to assault young girls, a judge said as the BBC veteran was jailed for 15 months on Monday.
The former radio football commentator showed no emotion as he was sent down with the scathing words of condemnation ringing in his ears, Voice of Russia reported.
The former It's a Knockout host, 83, last month admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls, the youngest aged just nine.
Judge Anthony Russell QC, at Preston Crown Court, said Hall was known to the public for his "genial personality" but there was "a darker side" to him.
He said, "Those who admired you for these qualities and the general public now know that there is a darker side to you, one hidden from the public view until now - and a side which you were able to conceal taking advantage of your status as a well-liked celebrity.
"Several of these cases reveal an abuse of power by you because your status gave you an influence and standing which you abused. "
Following his guilty pleas on 14 counts of indecent assault against 13 victims, the rape charge - which Hall denied - was asked to be left on file after it was given consideration at "the most senior level" of the Crown Prosecution Service and the alleged victim was also consulted and agreed.
Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, today outlined the details of the offences Hall committed.
A "significant" number of the complainants were in attendance at Preston Crown Court today, said the prosecutor, as Hall sat in the dock.
Mr Wright said Hall denied any impropriety after he was arrested at his home in December.
Hall said the motivation for the complaints was "otherwise instant notoriety if it ever gets into the press domain".